Hong Kong is open to all and Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTP) is ramping up its seventh Elevator Pitch Competition (EPiC 2023) by unveiling its 50 Grand Finale semi-finalists, selected from 618 entries and 55 economies across the world.
EPiC 2023 — backed by innovation-driven partners Cathay, HSBC, MTR Lab, plus world-leading accelerator Plug & Play — is the city’s most eagerly anticipated pitch event each year and will take place on 28 April 2023 (Friday) at the summit of Hong Kong’s tallest building, the International Commerce Centre. The annual event is a unique, worldwide competition for mid to late-stage startups in the FinTech and PropTech sectors who seek to expand their footprints into Asia and beyond, while leveraging Hong Kong’s biggest innovation ecosystem at HKSTP.
EPiC provides the best available platform for startups to make real business impact through connections with the Science Park network of 1,000+ investors and 300+ corporate partners.
This year, three quarters of the entries are from overseas, with the proportion of overseas contestants and the number of economies participating hitting a record high since 2016. A total of 50 contestants representing 14 different economies entered the semi-final round.
All 50 semi-finalists have a golden opportunity to be considered for direct investment of up to US$5 million from the HKSTP Venture Fund, as well as market expansion support across Asia and beyond, plus the chance to win a cash prize of US$90,000 if crowned overall champion.
Albert Wong, CEO, HKSTP, said: “EPiC is an iconic mega event that has hit global scale, as record turnout from international startups further demonstrates Hong Kong’s advantages as an international I&T hub. Hong Kong is diversified, vibrant and attracts the very best entrepreneurs, investors and corporate innovators. Grow fast and go beyond is the theme for EPiC this year, and we welcome talents from around the world to explore Hong Kong’s unlimited investment and innovation opportunities.”
The EPiC Grand Finale on 28 April will be hosted at Hong Kong’s iconic Sky 100 venue atop Hong Kong’s tallest building, the International Commerce Centre. The 50 competing teams will pitch their world-changing ideas to a judging panel of renowned investors, entrepreneurs, and business leaders. The actual pitch will comprise of a 60-second elevator ride as participants compete for the title of overall EPiC Champion.
To propel EPiC to the broader public, HKSTP has launched for the first time, the “My Favourite Pitcher” public poll, which is open to all to vote for their favourite pitch video from the shortlisted 50 semi-finalists. The poll is now available at EPiC polling website (epic-voting.hkstp.org) and lasts until 28 April 2023 1pm (HKT). The semi-finalist with the highest number of votes will win the cash prize of US$10,000, plus 200,000 Asia Miles sponsored by Cathay.
HKSTP will also kick off the exclusive Immersion Programme for semi-finalists to experience Hong Kong’s I&T ecosystem first-hand and unlock business opportunities through educational talks, business matching and networking with leading corporate partners and investors across the HKSTP ecosystem.
|Category||No. of applicants|
|Headquarter||No. of applicants|
|Hong Kong||153 (25%)|
A record high proportion of overseas contestants and economies participation since 2016.
Now until 28 April 2023, 1pm (HKT)
“My Favourite Pitcher” Public Polling
- The top 50 semi-finalists’ pitching videos is open for public online voting
- The semi-finalist with the highest number of votes will be crowned EPiC 2023’s “My Favourite Pitcher” and win the cash prize of US$10,000 plus 200,000 Asia Miles sponsored by Cathay
25 – 26 April 2023
“Grow Beyond Hong Kong” Immersion Programme
- An exclusive 2-day programme for EPiC 2023 semi-finalists to experience HKSTP’s innovation ecosystem.
- Participants will unlock growth opportunities through educational talks, business matching and networking with leading corporate partners and investors in our ecosystem.
28 April 2023
EPiC 2023 Grand Finale
- Venue: Sky100 Hong Kong Observation Deck
- Top 50 Semi-Finalists will pitch their ideas within a 60-second elevator ride
- Top 10 Finalists will pitch their innovation ideas on stage to renowned investors, entrepreneurs, and business leaders
- All 50 semi-finalists have the golden opportunities to be considered for direct investment of up to US$5 million from the HKSTP Venture Fund, plus the chance to win a cash prize of US$90,000 if crowned overall champion.
For more information on EPiC 2023, please visit: https://epic.hkstp.org/